Counterpart makes it: 15 years of supporting women’s creativity
Counterpart (previously BreaCan) has always provided opportunities for women with breast or a gynaecological cancer to take part in creative activities to respond to their diagnosis or assist in their wellbeing. We are planning to bring together a range of artworks, crafts and creative projects by many different women to display at our end of year morning tea and on our website.
Why creativity can help
Creativity can bring many positive effects, from the simple pleasure of doing it through to evoking personal growth and transformation. At Counterpart, we have been providing creative sessions for the past 15 years. These have included art therapy, sashiko, doll making, drumming, photography, music and creative writing.
Women who have participated in these sessions have told us they were beneficial: for having some fun; for not thinking about the cancer awhile; and processing and making meaning out of their experience of cancer.
Want to participate?
- Have you participated in a BreaCan/Counterpart creative session in the past?
- Or have you pursued creative activities on your own or in other groups?
- Do you have something you have created that has meaning for you in relation to your cancer experience?
- Are you willing to share your creative work?
This display will give you a chance to share your experience with others; to give them a glimpse of how it was, or is, for you to be diagnosed with cancer. If you would like to send us an item, please write a short paragraph about your experience of creating the work and how it relates to your cancer. You may choose to have your work displayed without accompanying words.
- Works need to have been created by women who have had breast or a gynaecological cancer.
- Works must be received by 30 November 2018. They can be delivered in person or posted to GPO Box 1066, Melbourne VIC 3001.
- Works will be displayed at our End of Year morning tea on Tuesday 11 December 2018 and can be picked up the same day. Alternatively, we can hold your work for collection between 12 December and 20 December 2018 or post back to you by arrangement.
- Photographs of the works will also be shared on the Counterpart website after the event.
- We will treat your work with the utmost care but cannot not take responsibility for any damage that may occur in shipping or display of the work.
Download a form to submit with your artwork/item
For more information
Call 1300 781 500
We thank our Counterpart volunteer Greta for inspiring us all with her dedication to creativity and its positive impact on healing after a cancer diagnosis and treatment.